It can be a pretty daunting challenge locating a reputable veterinarian when you move to a new location. With more and more billboard and newspaper ads today, it’s very hard to decide which veterinarian is best for your pet. The last thing you want is to gamble and leave your pet in the hands an incompetent vet.
Tips For Locating a Reputable Veterinarian
- Do it early: it’s never wise to make quick decisions, but you might have to if you’re desperate. This is why locating a reputable veterinarian before an emergency is better. Doing so early also gives you time to evaluate different options in the area before settling on the choice you find best.
- Evaluate the entire team: your pet’s care involves a lot more than just the veterinarian themselves, the entire team works together to provide the best care. If one aspect of the institution doesn’t please you, then move on to the next option. And don’t be afraid of traveling for a few extra miles, remember it’s all about quality service and care.
- Don’t depend on ads: most vets will advertise their services on Yellow Pages to attract customers, and most people assume this is the best option. The truth is, some of these big institutions serve numerous pets, and yours will be just another one on the list. Instead, finding a smaller, reputable veterinary will ensure your pet gets personalized care from a smaller team which will be more dedicated.
- Find what suits you: information about hours, services and staff is usually available even at the reception desk of any animal hospital. Find out if they offer the services you prefer for your pet as well as the hours you are comfortable with. For example, if the vet requires an appointment beforehand, you would know to do this before making an impromptu stop. Having this information upfront will help you schedule the visits more easily without having to change your schedule.
- Ask for accreditation: if for any reason, you become suspicious or unhappy with the quality of service, don’t be afraid to ask for the vet’s board certification. Remember you’re putting your pet’s life into their hands and you ought to cover all the bases and know for sure nothing fishy is going on.
How to Go About the Selection Process
Begin by asking around – inquiring from your friends and neighbors about their recommendations can help you land a great vet.
Call ahead and make an appointment – It is also important to schedule an appointment with the vet you intend to work with but don’t bring your pet along this time. Use this opportunity to observe the premises and assess the vet and staff. These first impressions will be a good indicator toward the quality of their service.
Interact with the people there and ask questions – this will help determine if you see yourself having a good relationship with the people there or not.
Locating a Reputable Veterinarian can sometimes be a painful experience but as long as you know what you are doing, things will work out just fine.